Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Fruit of the Spirit

On my way to work this morning I was listening to a much needed message on the fruit of the spirit. When I got to work, I had to dig a little deeper. Yes this is a lesson that I have learned and heard more times than I could tell you, I remember doing a chart for Sunday school on the fruit of the spirit, but sometimes we need a refresher. I know that I need to bear fruit. I know that I need to love, have joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, but it's not something that we just "do" it's also something that we "are" as we grow in the spirit. Some of the things that I went over come natural for me. They wouldn't come natural if I didn't have the spirit of Christ in me, if I had not accepted him as my lord and savior, but it is the spirit that gives me these characteristics - the character of Christ. I read something online that stated that with the spirit, he grows us, cleans us and makes good fruit - through Jesus. While I have the spirit and again some of the characteristics come easy (some not so much), I am also sinful by nature and have to be very careful to make sure that I don't roll down the wrong path (like a rotten pumpkin) (ha). Paul also wrote of things that are not part of this character: gossip, the undermining of others, easily believing ill of others, loose sexual behavior, empty speech, quick temper, and the eagerness for money. Wow! I struggle with some of those from time to time. What does that reflect of my walk???? I'm still growing and in order to not stunt my growth, I have to cling to his word and pray that he will continue to grow me. I want others to know me by my fruit! I tell my daughters many, many mornings when they get out for school to let their light shine, but does mine? I want others to know that I can react to circumstances without acting irrational, I can control my temper and my tongue when I feel like letting someone have it, I can trust in God in the troubled times, I can walk away from a good gossip session, I can put myself in others shoes and not pass judgement, I can love the unlovable, I can have joy in the most difficult times, I can be compassionate and loving to my enemies, I can go out of my way to help someone EVEN when it's not convenient or it's not what's best for me and mine ONLY because I have the spirit in me! I'm not saying that I do all of these things all the time, I don't by any means, I mess up often, but it's what I long for - to possess the characteristics that reflect to the world that I am his!!!!!!!

1 comment:

H.T. said...

Praise the Lord! That is what He is looking to use, a willing heart. God has been reminding and reteaching me lately that He is the One that even gives us the desire to be willing. Without Him, apart from Him we are nothing. May His grace continue to be poored out to you and in your heart as you authentically pursue Him! Love ya!